This is my obligatory Valentines day post! *spoiler alert* it includes chocolate. Lots of chocolate. I mean, what else is valentines day about?! Am I right?! 😉 Being the first valentines day as a married couple, and my second time to ever participate in Valentines day, I’m excited to make it a special day! :)…Not by spending a ridiculous amount of money on chocolate in a packaged heart that my husband won’t even care about, but making this bomb cake. Yes. Its a bomb of deliciousness.
While I can’t take credit for the Hershey’s Black Magic Cake recipe, the icing is my own invention to fancy up the best chocolate cake you will ever inhale. I say inhale, because you won’t be able to get it in your mouth fast enough! I came across this recipe when I was about 14, and I haven’t made a boxed cake mix since. It just puts them to shame. I will also add a little side note for this recipe. It includes coffee. Absolutely magical for me, but I know some don’t enjoy caffeine…and that’s ok, because you won’t taste the coffee. It simply adds to the richness of the cake….I also recommend using cocoa powder instead of flour when you get to greasing your pans.
As for the icing, my cousin is coming up to stay with us over the weekend, and we’re celebrating her birthday. I wanted to make something super decadent and fancy, as desserts are my first love! 😀 I wanted something to compliment the cake, and I’m not a fan of icing that is so sweet it knocks you out. A dash of red wine with the cocoa powder in the icing pairs really nicely with the richness of the cake. it’s not super bitter, so don’t worry! 🙂
Black Magic Cake
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups white sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup strong brewed coffee, chilled
- 1 cup buttermilk (You can make buttermilk by using 2 Tbls. of vinegar, in a 1 cup measuring cup and then filling the rest with milk #yourewelcome)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees & grease and flour (use your cocoa powder instead!) two 9 inch round cake pans or one 9×13 inch pan.
- In large bowl combine flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt & mix well.
- Add eggs, coffee, buttermilk, oil and vanilla. Beat for 2 minutes on medium speed. Batter will be thin. Pour into prepared pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes, then remove from pans and finish cooling, then frost with this delicious Icing recipe:
Red Wine Icing
- 1 cup room temp. butter
- 1/2 cup marshmallow creme
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 1/4 cup red wine (I used a cheap, red Merlot that I found at Aldi for 3 bucks.)
- 3 TBSP. milk
- 1 Hershey milk chocolate bar
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 2 & 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- With a mixer, (if you’re not using a kitchenaid mixer, ya need to get one!) cream butter, marshmallow creme, vanilla, milk , & wine.
- Melt the chocolate bar (careful not to scorch it!) add to the bowl and beat until its evenly mixed in.
- Add in cocoa powder and powdered sugar. Beat it for about 2 minutes, or until it starts getting fluffy.
I will usually freeze my cakes before I frost them, so it locks in the moisture….
Now, We’re ready to experience magic! 😀 Frost the cake, top with some fresh berries & chocolate shavings. Wow your valentine. You’re welcome! 😉
Happy Love Day! 😉